About Demand Justice
Demand Justice is a grassroots advocacy organization that educates and mobilizes the public against the capture of the federal courts by corporate and partisan interests. We are building a progressive movement fighting to restore the ideological balance and legitimacy of the federal courts by advocating for court reform and progressive, diverse judges.
Demand Justice seeks a Virginia State Director to take a lead role in building coordinating strategies between Demand Justice Initiative and state partners on behalf of our various projects and initiatives aimed at restoring ideological balance and legitimacy to the courts. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated success in organizing communities, strong attention to detail, and strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
This position is a full time- exempt based in Virginia, preferred or Washington, D.C., and reports to the Organizing Director. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Cultivate and manage relationships with key members of the legal and judicial community, progressive partners, activists, and officeholders.
- Organize and engage with grassroots supporters and leaders around the state by leading regular trainings, rallies, town hall meetings, etc.
- Manage and facilitate Demand Justice’s Virginia coalition table with key partners and stakeholders.
- Build relationships and educate members of the Virginia General Assembly and their staff.
- Develop and execute strategic long-term plans to support Demand Justice’s goals and priorities.
- Design and execute Demand Justice events and echo actions in Virginia.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- At least 5-7 years in campaign management, advocacy, or similar role
- Experience in community and grassroots organizing including volunteer recruitment, trainings, and coalition building
- Some knowledge of Virginia’s political and judicial landscape
- Demonstrated ability to set clear priorities and manage conflicting pressures by handling matters expeditiously, proactively, and seeing projects through to their successful completion
- Proven success in helping bring a team together to carry out multi-faceted projects.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and leadership qualities
- A self-starter with a strong sense of initiative and the persistence to identify solutions to challenging tasks
- Detail-oriented, with a commitment to accuracy and thoroughness.
- Commitment to Demand Justice Initiative’s mission.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Virginia State Director Applicant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Demand Justice is dedicated to building a team of diverse individuals and committed to providing a workplace of mutual respect and inclusion.
New Venture Fund Careers
Demand Justice is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.