Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Communications Director
Status: Full time, exempt
We are looking to hire a press secretary. The person in this role will work with the communications director to generate earned media for Demand Justice.
The press secretary will:
- Create and execute earned media strategy for select Demand Justice campaigns.
- Develop messaging and rapid response plans for reporters, partners, and other departments.
- Build and maintain relationships with reporters.
- Write press releases, media advisories, statements, and talking points.
- Contribute to communications planning and strategy.
- Maintain press lists.
- Field media inquiries.
- Pitch stories that promote Demand Justice’s messaging to reporters.
- Monitor breaking news and compile clips.
- Complete research projects as needed.
- Update the Demand Justice website with relevant communications materials.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C., with occasional travel. This person will report to Demand Justice’s communications director.
A strong applicant for the press assistant position will have:
- At least two years of experience in communications, campaigns, or advocacy work.
- A successful track record working with reporters, crafting communications plans, and shaping the narrative or breaking through in challenging communications environments.
- The ability to write clearly and concisely about complex topics.
- Strong attention to detail and copy-editing abilities.
- Comfort working under tight deadlines and in rapid response environments.
- A passion for social justice, progressive politics, and Demand Justice’s mission.
How to Apply
E-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Press” in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.
Demand Justice is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.