Title: Distributed Organizer
Reports to: Organizing Director
Status: Three month contract with opportunity for renewal based on performance and organizational needs.
Demand Justice is a grassroots advocacy organization that fights back against the capture of the federal courts by corporate and partisan interests. We are building a progressive movement fighting to restore the ideological balance and legitimacy of the federal courts by advocating for court reform and progressive, diverse judges. We are currently hiring distributed organizers whose job will be to build up and manage a massive movement of volunteers that will exert their people power to advocate for court reform legislation, attack or support federal judicial nominations, and influence the selection and confirmation of any future Supreme Court nominees.
As a distributed organizer, you will:
- Mobilize volunteers at scale to put pressure on elected officials to take action on court reform legislation and judicial nominations.
- Build written, audio, and visual volunteer training materials for a variety of advocacy tactics.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and provide feedback to volunteers, which will include: assigning work, setting deadlines, running comprehensive, high-quality trainings that outline exactly how to complete a task, establishing strong communication standards, monitoring volunteer progress and providing ongoing performance feedback, and developing systems for intaking volunteer feedback and applying that feedback to grow and improve the program.
- Identify volunteer leaders and both promote them and train them to take on bigger roles within the volunteer infrastructure.
- Build systems and spreadsheets for tracking volunteers and the completion of their work as it pertains to larger programmatic goals.
- Become a super user of both the front end and back end of key productivity (Google Apps, Slack, Zoom, etc.) and organizing (ThruText, ThruTalk, Mobilize, etc.) technologies and patiently teaching volunteers to use them.
- Embrace even the sometimes tedious and repetitive tasks that are needed to keep volunteer teams thriving, such as making several hours of recruitment calls to onboard new volunteers, staying on the phone with a volunteer to teach them how to use a key piece of organizing technology, and updating daily spreadsheet trackers.
We encourage anyone who is passionate about building a grassroots movement to advocate for court reform and a diversity of representation in our court systems to apply. This position does NOT require a college degree.
Great candidates will:
- Believe in volunteer leadership and demonstrate this in their application materials. Volunteers are at the center of everything we do, and all your work on the job will directly contribute to developing volunteer leadership and a thriving movement of grassroots volunteers all across the country.
- Have experience either in a volunteer or paid capacity working on an advocacy or electoral campaign. Please describe in your resume any specific experience you have developing training materials and/or leading trainings where you’ve taught volunteers or other staff how to complete organizing tasks.
All candidates must:
- Be comfortable working and interacting with staff, volunteers, and their direct supervisor in an entirely remote, online environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a rapidly changing work environment. One day we may be focusing all of our energy on mobilizing volunteers to call Members of Congress, and the next day we may pivot our focus entirely to organizing a mass protest.
- Use their own computer and phone to complete their work.
- Be available to work through September 30th, 2021.
- Expect to work evening and weekend hours leading up to the launch of a new program or if there are developments in the news cycle around court reform legislation or court appointments.
- Be comfortable being on back-to-back phone calls, often for most of the day on any given workday, in order to recruit, organize, and train volunteers. Up to 90% of your work day may be spent on the phone.
- Be proficient in Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and demonstrate an ability to learn and excel on new technology platforms quickly.
- Be willing to take initiative and propose solutions for tackling tough organizing challenges, evaluate outcomes, and quickly adapt if things aren’t working to optimize toward achieving our program goals.
Compensation & Hours
Salary for this position is $4,812.50/month, plus a $75/month cell phone stipend. Work hours may vary from week to week — we will work together with you to develop a schedule that ensures we have sufficient coverage during all hours, including evening and weekend hours, that we expect our volunteers to be most engaged.
How to Apply
Email your resume to [email protected] with “Distributed Organizer” in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. We will hire on a rolling basis.
Demand Justice is dedicated to building a team of diverse individuals and committed to providing a workplace of mutual respect and inclusion. Demand Justice’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.