Location: Washington, DC- remote during pandemic
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Demand Justice Initiative seeks an experienced Director of Finance to build, manage, and oversee all financial and accounting activities for the organization. The director of finance will be responsible for building Demand Justice Initiative’s internal financial system. The ideal candidate will have a strong record of budget management at a nonprofit organization. The person in this role will also oversee financial/accounting operations at Demand Justice Initiative’s affiliated entities.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Oversee and ensure quality control over critical financial activities including: accounting, financial operations, audits, reconciling, budget development and tracking, financial reporting, tax and regulatory compliance.
- Establish new finance systems to support the organization’s priorities.
- Implement and oversee the annual budgeting process, and manage budget-to-actual reporting, to monitor progress and present operational metrics to senior leadership.
- Prepare financial reporting materials and metrics for funders.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of financial status.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Complete and submit federal and local annual tax returns.
- Manage annual financial auditing process with an external auditing firm.
- Hold responsibility for day-to-day bookkeeping and month-end close/reconciliation.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field and CPA required.
- Experience working with an organization with both a 501(c)(3) and a 501(c)(4).
- 8-10 year experience in a financial role.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
- A self-starter with a strong sense of initiative and the persistence to identify solutions to challenging tasks.
- Detail-oriented, with a commitment to accuracy and thoroughness.
- Demonstrated ability to set clear priorities and manage conflicting pressures by handling matters expeditiously, proactively, and seeing projects through to their successful completion.
- Commitment to Demand Justice Initiative’s mission.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $105,000-120,000 as well as a generous benefits package.
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Director of Finance” in the subject line.
Demand Justice Initiative is dedicated to building a team of diverse individuals and is committed to providing a workplace of mutual respect and inclusion.
Demand Justice is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.